Monday, August 25, 2014

Stout Tasting

My second big tasting at my place was Stout night.  I had seen so many stouts from all over and wanted an opportunity to not only try each one but share them with others since it is hard to drink a lot of stouts completely on your own.  You will see below there is a massive number of stouts compared to my other tastings and I can say we did not make it through more than 60-70% of them.  This tasting had a very good turnout with about 10 people tasting. Stouts have such a good variety.  In our tastings we had Milk Stouts, Bourbon Aged Stouts, Chocolate Stouts, Russian Imperial Stouts, Imperial Stouts, Coffee Stouts and a few other random kinds.
Since it has been over 8 months and I didn't use a rating system for this night, I am strictly going off a shady memory.  I do recall that the Yeti's were popular from Great Divide...that included the Oatmeal, the Chocolate and the Espresso.  I also recall my shock when Butternut's Beer & Ale's Moo Thunder Milk Stout was adored by many of the girls at the tasting.  A few other stand outs were Alesmith Speedway Stout, Founders Breakfast Stout, Full Pint's Night of the Living Stout, and Southern Tier Choklat.  Lastly, Sam Adams Gingerbread Stout from what I can remember may have been the nights winner with a strong but not overpowering taste of gingerbread and smooth backbone. This beer night was very filling to say the least, but introduced people to a lot of new stouts and weeks following a lot of the tasters would tell me they went out and bought so and so beer since they loved it at the tasting...so I did the job right and created new fans of the delicious stouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment