Sunday, August 10, 2014

Maine Beer Company - Freeport, ME

I must start off by saying this was by far one of my best brewery visits ever! About 20 minutes north of Portland is Maine Beer Company. I have had plenty of their beers in the past, most notably Lunch and loved them all! Except in Buffalo we are getting most their beers...not so fresh. So I was ecstatic to get to go right the source.  Of course I came just days after Dinner had tapped out sadly.
We arrived around 1:30 on a Tuesday..place was pretty dead.  Not tons of seating but a decent amount of picnic tables.  Just like their bottles labels, the room just felt empty but very clean.  We ordered two samplers with all 8 beers they had on tap. Before I go into beer by beer I will say this is probably the overall best sampler I have ever had because the worst beer was better than most beers I've ever had.
Peeper was light and had a good hop flavor to it.
A tiny beautiful something was missing a little something, pun intended, for me.  It just didn't blow me away like I hoped it would.
Mean Old Tom is just a great stout.
Weez was great.
Another One IPA was great..I wanted another one.
Red Wheelbarrow was one of the best red ales maybe the best I've ever had.
Lunch..speaks for itself fantastic.
Mo is a great great Pale ale.
To make things even better, I went to buy bottles since they sell them in house and Lunch was dated THAT day. Along with half the other beers..bottled THAT day..I find that very impressive.  I picked up a case worth of beer and we were on our way.
I will say sadly Lunch was not as great as I hoped once we got home and had it in the bottle.  I would say maybe the fact it sit in my car made it bad, but the other beers were just as good as I remembered.  I won't whine about it because Lunch is always solid, maybe just a bad batch or who knows?

I will say that if I ever go back to that area, I will drive an hour out of my way to come back here.  The whole place just feels clean, fresh and the beer is incredible.  Do yourself a favor and go visit them if you are within an hour or so from the brewery..you won't regret it! www.mainebeercompany.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment